October 04, 2009

An Introduction & Mission Statement

Welcome, adorable friends and friendly strangers, to my self-indulgent exploration of the wonderful world of literature. Another blog about books, you say? But why? Well, hypothetical reader, I’m aware that there are countless other blogs out there concerning the same thing and that I will be one droplet in the proverbial Internet ocean; I have, however, many reasons – both selfish and selfless – for the existence of this blog. After I finish a book, I take to the Internet to read as much as I can on the book – critics’ reception, peoples’ opinions, any available critical analysis. Here I hope to actively contribute to this conversation rather than be a silent spectator, while also providing another outlet for people looking to do the same. On a personal level, this shall be a multi-purpose blog: To keep me reading (though admittedly I don’t need a blog for that). To keep me thinking about what I am reading. To keep me writing about what I’m reading (a part of me misses the endless college English papers, if not the all-nighters that accompanied them). And to hone my critical reading and writing skills. I tend to like most things I read, though of course to different extents. It is my hope that if I am actively thinking about what made me like or dislike a certain book, I will, with practice, get better at truthfully criticizing or praising said book – and therefore further the literary education I developed with my degree in English. And, finally, I am here to explore (in the words of a Mr. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow),

“The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books”

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of book blogging! I really enjoyed reading the reviews you have up so far and am excited to be a follower now. Keep up the great work!

    Emily
    What Book is That?

    ReplyDelete

Followers